Many people are interested in the question: why antidepressants have become so popular in recent years? Why are more and more people suffering from depression and panic attacks?
The rhythm of modern life is striking: as a rule, a man is always hurry, solves problems, answers phone calls, writes messages in messengers or sends documents by e-mail. Moreover, the concept of “working time” seems to no longer exist. Thanks to cell phones and the Internet we are available anywhere and anytime. Of course, such a whirlwind of events and the burden of responsibility tires a person, his mind refuses to work in such conditions and at breakneck speeds. And, as a result, it responds with attacks of fear, anxiety, internal discomfort. And problems in personal life only aggravate a situation.
Definition and symptoms of panic attack
Panic attack – an acute attack of anxiety that occurs in combination with uncontrolled fear and a variety of somatic abnormalities that are the result of violations of the normal functioning of the nervous system. An acute, appearing absolutely suddenly attack of anxiety certainly experienced by every person. Such somatic disorders are accompanied by increased heart rate, vomiting and trembling in the legs.
Note that such a reaction to stress is considered normal. But you should be wary if panic attacks occur regularly. This may indicate the presence of mental disorders. Seizures occur suddenly and can be caught in public transport, in a store, in an elevator.
Characteristic symptoms that accompany a person with the appearance of anxiety:
- difficulty breathing;
- severe headache;
- increasing the work of sweat glands;
- dry mouth;
- heart rate increase;
- numbness of limbs;
- feeling of loss of control;
- the feeling of unreality of what is happening around;
- the sense of impending doom;
- fear of death.
What causes panic attacks?
The main causes of the panic attack are neurological disorders. The occurrence of seizures occurs spontaneously or when exposed to a certain stimulus. Such a factor may be stress, emotional stress, excessive physical activity or stay with a large crowd of people. Attacks after hormonal therapy, ischemia or stroke are not excluded. Panic attacks are often observed in emotionally unstable individuals.
Scientists have divided the causes of panic attacks into two groups: predisposing and causing.
Predisposing agents include:
- psychotype and character of a person, which are given by nature and brought up by parents;
- material security, availability of housing, work, family relationships;
- critical age (transitional, climax, pregnancy, childbirth and maternity leave);
- genetic factor. Unfortunately, if there are people with mental disorders in the family, it is likely that the disease will be inherited.
- frequent emotional stress and mental strain;
- excessive amount of physical activity;
- high sexual activity;
- excessive enthusiasm for computer games, active “virtual” life;
- poor nutrition, lack of vitamins and minerals;
- craniocerebral injuries, respiratory diseases, gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular disease, hormonal imbalance, nervous diseases;
- excessive use of alcohol, psychotropic, narcotic substances, caffeine.
The causes of depression can also include strong emotional turmoil: separation, betrayal, death of a loved one, treason, loss of work…
What to do in a panic attack?
Many people have to deal with the occurrence of attacks outside their home – in the subway, on the street or on the plane. Drugs may not be at hand. There are several ways to help cope with anxiety.
- Try to take a sitting position, close your eyes and lean back. You need to control your breathing.
- Try to imagine something pleasant and soothing – the sound of the surf, the forest, the singing of birds, the rustle of leaves in the wind.
- Try to feel the fatigue of the whole body. Relaxation helps to quickly relieve anxiety. This method will work only if the person will try to concentrate on inner peace.
How to get rid of panic attacks on your own?
Practice shows that many people prone to panic attacks, turn to a specialist, already diagnosed. But this can only be done by a specialist. The ideal option for the beginning of treatment of panic attacks is still considered to consult a psychotherapist. Considering the problem in the psychiatric plane, it is possible to achieve success as soon as the doctor, having designated a psychogenic origin of disorders, will appoint the corresponding therapy.
At the initial stage of the disease, you can do without medication. Therapy of mild forms of panic disorders at first includes:
- Psychotherapy that can bring out the cause of anxiety attacks and panic and to change the attitude towards them.
- Compliance with the regime of work and rest, healthy lifestyle, eliminate bad habits, limit the use of strong coffee and tea.
- Auto-training: self-regulation of psycho-emotional and vegetative disorders, suppression of negative emotions, mental relaxation. Elimination of panic disorders is achieved with the help of special exercises to relax skeletal muscles, breathing exercises that regulate the heart rate and vascular blood flow, as well as verbal formulas pronounced in a strict sequence.
- The traditions of Ayurveda, the source of which is Indian yoga, of course, are good, but mastering knowledge in this area is a difficult and time-consuming task, so it is unlikely that you will be able to fight panic attacks on your own in this way. However, if a person “in such a case knows a lot”, then why not try?
- Transcendental meditation according to modern concepts can help a person to get rid of panic fears, anxieties, overcome fatigue and gain new health. To do this, you need to find a good teacher (guru), who has deep knowledge and really knows how to help.
- Swimming pool, massage and various physiotherapy treatments.
- Acupuncture – a wonderful method of dealing with negative emotions and vegetative disorders: calms, relaxes, uplifting.
- Spa treatment, to describe the advantages of which hardly makes sense, everything is clear: such therapy, in fact, can change life for the better for a long time.
The criterion for the effectiveness of the treatment is to reduce the frequency of panic attacks and vegetative crises or even their complete disappearance.
Treatment with medication
If you cannot cure the disease at the initial stage, you should contact a specialist. Most likely, he will prescribe you one of the drugs that depress the nervous system, causing it to relax. Xanax is one of the leading antidepressants in the market of medical products. Last year alone, several million prescriptions for this drug were issued in the United States. The secret of success is simple: it is fast, affordable, reliable. Do not forget: before ordering and buying Xanax online, you need to consult a doctor who will select the necessary dosage for you, tell about possible side effects.
This article is solely educational, encyclopedic and informational functions. You must obtain the approval of your doctor before applying the tips and recommendations described in the article. Do not self-medicate!