Today, the pharmaceutical market has a wide range of antidepressants. And the consumer has a question, what is the difference between popular drugs? In this article, we will explain the differences between Xanax and Valium. These drugs have a lot in common. Both Valium (Diazepam) and Xanax belong to the class of benzodiazepines, both fight anxiety and depression. But they also have differences, which we will discuss in detail. So, what to choose: Valium vs Xanax.
Xanax vs Valium: what is common and what is the difference?
- The common name of Valium is diazepam, Xanax – Alprazolam. Both are prescription antidepressants.
- Valium vs Xanax have a sedative effect on the brain, causing a feeling of calm. Both drugs must be taken orally, both have a quick effect: you can feel it in half an hour.
- The effect of the preparations lasts from 4 to 6 hours (if Xanax is a prolonged action, the effect lasts longer). But the time of withdrawal of drugs from the body is different. The half-life of Xanax is approximately 12 hours (plus or minus depending on the specific organism), and Valium – from 20 to 70 hours. This means that Xanax will be removed from the body in less than a week, but Valium will take about 6 weeks to remove the chemicals!
- For each organism, due to the characteristics of the drugs, they act differently. Xanax is more suitable for someone, Valium is for someone. What is the reason scientists can not say for sure.
- Both drugs can cause side effects. Patients taking Valium more often complained of dizziness. But stopping Valium is easier than Xanax.
- These drugs, if used improperly, can be addictive. That is why you should not take them for more than 6 weeks. Otherwise, there will be no effect for the body, and it will be much more difficult to refuse to take Xanax or Valium.
How do Valium and Xanax work?
The principle of action for drugs is similar. Valium and Xanax affect gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), which is located in the brain. Thanks to sedative actions, the activity of GABA on nerve cells decreases, which allows a person to relax, fall asleep faster, relieve tension, relax muscles and get rid of seizures.
Valium and Xanax can cause similar side effects both in the case of admission, and with a abrupt withdrawal of the drug. Most often, when side effects occur, patients complain of nausea, dizziness, weakness, and cramping in the stomach.
We emphasize that you can not independently increase or decrease the daily dose of the drug. In addition, you can not independently start taking the drug and abruptly refuse it. Side effects in this case can last for weeks or even months! The drug should be administered under the supervision of a doctor!
Who should not take Xanax or Valium?
There are several categories of people to whom Xanax or Valium are contraindicated or can be used with caution on the recommendation of a doctor. Below we will tell in more detail. So.
- Xanax and Valium should not be taken by persons under 18 years of age. On the recommendation of a doctor, the drugs can be used by the elderly, but we must not forget that in this case, side effects can manifest themselves more strongly. Because of this, you need to carefully select the dosage.
- For people suffering from alcohol or drug addiction, Xanax and Valium are contraindicated!
- Pregnant and lactating women are not recommended to use these antidepressants. The final decision is made by the doctor, but it will be positive only if the predicted benefit will be more likely to harm both the health of the mother and the unborn baby.
- For people suffering from certain diseases, taking Xanax or Valium is not recommended. We are talking about a disease of the kidneys or liver, cardiovascular system, glaucoma, recently overcome drug addiction. In addition, with great caution, drugs can be used by people whose work is related to driving a car, as they can cause a slowdown in the reaction.
What to choose: Xanax and Valium?
We found that Xanax and Valium have similarities and differences. But most importantly – they have almost the same effect on the human body – soothing. Clinical trials show that both medicines show excellent results. As for the side effects, they are also similar. In this case, the answer to the question – which drug to choose Xanax or Valium – can be given only by a doctor, given your health status and the body’s response to any component of the drug. Take care of yourself and your health!
This article is solely educational, encyclopedic and informational functions. You must obtain the approval of your doctor before applying the tips and recommendations described in the article. Do not self-medicate!